Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Shared Experience at Taco Bell

Have you ever sang a song with complete strangers at Taco Bell?

I mean...when you are standing in line and you start to hum along with the MUZAK. Suddenly--it just happens: I, I turn the radio on, I turned the radio up, and this woman was singing my song: lover's in love, and the other's run away, lover is crying 'cause the other won't stay...

You look around the empty room. Post 3rd meal, Pre 4th meal. We are painfully aware that our two voices are not alone. Nerdy guy behind the counter looks nervous. Shoot, we'll probably never see each other again (seriously, the turn-over at that restaurant is epic)--And I thought I'd live forever, but now I'm not so sure. You try to tell me that I'm clever, but that won't take me anyhow, or anywhere with you.

He's getting into his groove now. You all know you'll regret this, but you just can't help it. You said that I was naive, and I thought that I was strong. I thought, "hey, I can leave, I can leave." Oh, but now I know that I was wrong, 'cause I missed you. Yeah, I miss you.

Dang. Where did this other guy come from?! How long has he been behind us? And, oh. Yep. He knows it too. Oh well. It's too late now. Apparently we're all going to stick this out to the end. You said, "I caught you 'cause I want you and one day I'll let you go." You try to give away a keeper, or keep me 'cause you know you're just scared to lose. And you say, "Stay."

It's almost over. Just finish it....and try to avoid eye contact. And you say I only hear what I want to....and done.

Now let's order our food and get the heck out of here.

But...seriously. That was cool.

4 comments:

Juliekins said...

Having given my past Lisa Lobe fettish and considering the fact that I used to keep a blank tape in my stereo to record "Stay" in case it came on the radio...which it did very often as proven by the afore blog...I too would have been compelled to sing right along with the best of the Taco Bell patrons and employees. That moment sounds very special. I only wish I could have been a part of it.

David S. said...

Oddly, I've been thinking of this song lately. I've sort of intermittently had a crush on Lisa Loeb since 1994. Not enough of a crush that I felt compelled to buy her albums, but a crush nonetheless.

MKShelley said...

I only wish I were cool enough to have that experience.

- Ms. Gew

(msgew was my word verification)

Juliekins said...

oops, I transposed. I am so ashamed