Sunday, March 23, 2008

Of Mountains and Motorcycles

Surreal. Yesterday was surreal.

We found ourselves with a free Saturday (a rare thing for us). We should be recording our record (it's ALMOST done...it lacks a vocal track, mixing, and mastering) but Eric is working on a project with John Moen (of the Darma Bums and Decemberists) that is keeping him really busy. So, no recording this weekend. Not ones to waste a beautiful Spring Day, Alex and I headed up to Hoodoo at first light for some cross-country skiing.

It was a beautiful day! It was 50 degrees and sunny! I really enjoy cross-country skiing. Gliding through snowwy meadows--surrounded by silence--without the chairlift and steep hills that ignite panic throughout my entire body.

Okay, I'm a bit of a wimp. Downhill is...exciting. The panic adds to the enjoyment--when it doesn't cripple me. But, cross-country is exhilarating in its own right. When I've got a good rhythm going, the scenery is beautiful, and I know how many calories I'm burning--I get those natural highs John Denver croons about.

So, we skiied for a few hours in the morning and then stopped for lunch. There was a missed call on my cell phone--my brother Peter. (I still think it bizarre that one can make cell phone calls from the top of a mountain. On one hand, it's pretty cool. But on the other hand...is there no escape from technology!?)

Peter had bad news. I have this friend John (boyfriend in a former life). His little sister Erin and her husband were in a motorcycle accident Friday. They were on their way to sign the closing papers on their first house. They've been married less than a year. He died. They think it was instantaneous. He hit the car in front of him. It broke his ribs which speared his aorta. She has some broken bones--but was tragically awake and aware that none of the hospital staff would give her an update on her husband. John had to be the one to tell her.

The immediate grief that washed over me was such a drastic contrast to the high I had been on all morning. We did ski a bit more after a long lunch break...but it was a contemplative run rather than a thrilling one. I'm so sorry for that girl who was once like a little sister to me.

I'm particularly grateful on this Easter for our Savior's sacrifice and subsequent resurrection. I'm grateful for the bittersweet knowledge that Zack and Erin will see each other again. I'm grateful that family's cannot be torn apart by something as mortal as a motorcycle accident.

Happy Easter.

--Jen.

2 comments:

Rhea said...

Skiing in the silence sounds wonderful. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's motorcycle accident. :o(

Hilarious Taco Bell incident.

Juliekins said...

That is such a sad story. That was your could-have-been sister-in-law. I hate motorcycles. I think I need to come to grips myself with mortality.