Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fun Weekend Friday: Jennifer Aniston, and paleontology




Our plans to record with our band fell through last weekend (again), and we were suddenly left with a long 3-day weekend and no plans. I voted for spending time cleaning and catching up on my to-do's...but Alex really wanted to go away and--I'll admit it--I did too. (I'll never look back on my life and wish that I had spent more time cleaning and less quality time with my husband!)











We decided to go somewhere close that we had never been to before--and the only National Park we had not been to in Oregon was the John Day Fossil Beds (http://www.nps.gov/joda/). This is a little piece of desert in the middle of green Oregon! I felt like I was in Utah--colored mountains, tumbleweeds, and COLD. But I'm getting ahead of myself...



FRIDAY


We decided to spend the first night in a little town called Madras, OR. Tiny town, middle of the off-season, freezing temperatures...we should have no trouble getting a hotel...right? But but but we were unaware that Jennifer Aniston is filming her new film in a hotel in Madras, OR.



Yup. So we had to settle for one of the only little hotels with a vacancy sign--The Madras Hotel and Motel. It was awesome. The lobby of this 1800s hotel doubled as a real estate office, museum, post office replica, hotel desk, handyman shop, taxidermy shop, christian missionary center. Our little old hotel manager gave us the grand tour--he told us all about the grand history of his hotel (which we couldn't stay in because it was built before indoor plumbing) and the motel that he recently re-decorated by himself. "I'll give yer a real nice room with a queen sized bed," he says. "Everything in the room is brand new! I re-done-it myself," he says. He was adorable...and that was the smallest queen-sized bed I've ever slept on!






















to be continued...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Man, you guys are so adventurous! I love it. I really need to visit Oregon.