Sunday, April 20, 2008

Snow & Sunshine

Bizarre Weather! A week ago it was 85 degrees and sunny. Yesterday we had freezing temperatures, sun, rain, hail, and snow! I had to work--but Alex took himself skiing (downhill) at Hoodoo. He said it was mid-winter conditions. They had 4 new inches of snow overnight--and accumulated about 2 inches through out the day.

The sunshine/snow mixture reminded me of my first cross-country skiing. We still can't find our camera, but our friend Vince brought a disposable that I just got around to developing.


X-country skiing is gangs and gangs of fun! My first trip was cut a little short...


I didn't fall the entire time...almost. I was feeling pretty good about myself. Alex had fallen a few times--but not me!
But Beware! The Prideful shall Fall!

And fall I did! Unfortunately, I managed to break my bindings! So, Alex and Vince embarked on a rescue mission. Alex constructed a makeshift carrier for my busted skis and Vince donned multiple packs. They left me on the trail and skied back to the cars.

The plan: Alex would return with Vince's skis in his carrier and the two of us would ski back out.

I had a great time out their by myself. It was such a sunny day (I think it got up to nearly 60 degrees!) that the snow was very soft and melty. This made it impossible to step on the snow without sinking in thigh-deep! So I sat on my behind, in my snow pants, and poled my way down (-and up) the trail. It was a great upper-body work-out!

1 comment:

Jen said...

p.s. Alex is no longer a bearded man. He is now just a regular man.