Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Discussion

One of the perks about living upstairs with the neighbors for a while is getting to spend more time with David. David is 4 going on 40. Yesterday he came and told me, "Jen, I need to discuss with you in the office". It was so funny I had to find out what it was about...

"The office" in this home refers to the big room in the basement that used to be the office for Brian upstairs, and is being converted into our new master bedroom / rock & roll room in preparation for our bedroom becoming the baby's room.

So, in the office we begin our discussion:

David (with arms folded high on his chest and a spitting image of his dad): "Okay. I just feel that there are too many things in here. I just feel we should get rid of most of these things, and make this the baby's room." (David has been using "I feel" a lot recently.)

Jen: "Why do you feel that way?"

David: "Well, I might want to come down here and just get something for baby Jonathan" (his new baby brother). "I just feel that we need to move all of these things. Well, we can leave just 3 things...the couch, the computer table, and the trash can. Then I can sit on the couch, and put things in the trash can!"

It was SO funny. He was pacing, gesturing, and using all of his logic and feelings to convince me to leave the room (mostly) empty. 

David has really enjoyed playing in the big empty rooms downstairs while they are in the process of being renovated. I think he sees visions of building huge Thomas the Train tracks that can be left out all of the time. 

You know, after living for 3 weeks or so with all of our stuff packed in the garage, I am beginning to wonder if we really even need all that stuff! (=

3 comments:

Melissa said...

What a cute little boy. When Cory and I would sell alarms in the summer we would only take what would fit in our car. At the end of the summer we would always wonder why we needed all of the stuff we had in storage b/c we didn't miss it at all in those 4 months.

David S. said...

This was a cute discussion. But the real reason I'm leaving a comment is to point out that Blogger just gave me the verification word "folly." Blogger has been giving me good words recently (though this is, I think, the first time I've gotten a real word, a word you could find in the dictionary).

MKShelley said...

I always want to go stuff-less after road trips and long visits away from the house. I feel so lifted without all of it, but then I start to use it again and realize how much I've missed it.