Saturday, October 25, 2008

Home

Home. I miss that place. It's amazing how much we rely on having a place to hideout and escape and eat and sleep and read and write, and watch TV. 

I miss my home! We are doing good.  I haven't been posting because not much is changing day-to-day and I don't have easy access to the computer. It's been nearly two weeks since our basement apartment flooded, and it looks to be another week or two until we can move back in. The floors and lower walls were ruined, so the apartment is kind of gutted right now.

For now, we are staying upstairs in the attic guest room. Our neighbors are currently at the hospital presumably giving birth to their second child. I feel terrible that we are invading their home during this special family time! But, I'm trying to make the most of it and be helpful for Becky.

Last weekend we packed up all of our bedroom and living room stuff in boxes and moved it to the garage. We didn't realize it would be so long--so we only left out clothes! There is amazingly nothing much to do! 

Also, we just found out that the kitchen and bathroom floors will need to be replaced. So, tonight we are packing up the rest of our belongings. And, while the floors are all ripped up, they may be cutting concrete and doing some major sewer repairs. 

And...as long as we are getting new wallboards, carpets, and linoleum--we are going to go ahead and paint the walls, too. 

Ugh. It will be lovely when it is all done...but, until then it is really weird to be somewhat homeless. 

I am thankful for all the good in our lives: for ward members that have us over for dinner (I'm SO sick of eating out!), for people who donated boxes, for family that spent a day moving boxes to the garage, and for good friends that are letting us live in their house. 

I am thankful. I'm trying to be patient. But I just miss being home.

3 comments:

Candice said...

Hey, we're packing too! Doesn't it just stink!!! Your circumstance is understandably frusterating though, but think of how nice it will be to have a " new" apartment!

David S. said...

Did your furniture and other belongings suffer much damage? Is Pablo in good health?

Trying to find a silver lining from a musical perspective, I think Wesley Willis may have owed much of his brilliance to his homelessness, so perhaps your temporary homelessness will spark a burst of creative energy. You may also wish to consider developing chronic schizophrenia as well.

Becky said...

If only you had known it would be another 3+ weeks!!! I am so thankful you guys were around. It was such a help, and so fun!