Saturday, July 5, 2008

Exploding Jell-O Salad

Oh! I didn't get a picture of my Exploding Jell-O Salad! Shame on me! Well here's the recipe:

1 box blue Jell-O
1 box raspberry Jell-O
Fresh blueberries
Fresh raspberries
Cool Whip
Red and/or Blue Pop Rocks (that's right--Pop Rocks).

  1. I prepared 1 large box of blue Jell-O as directed and poured it in a medium sized pretty glass bowl. There was too much Jell-O, I only added enough to fill the bowl about 2/3 full. Add enough blueberries that they completely cover the top of the blue layer (they will float).
  2. When the crane fly lands in the hot blue Jell-O, dump that batch out and run to the store before it closes at 1 a.m. for another box. Then prepare again as directed above. Don't try to just fish it out. That is gross. Plus--it's tough to get all the legs out.
  3. Let that layer set for a few hours (or overnight).
  4. For the next layer, I prepared a small box of raspberry. (I would have done a large raspberry and small blue--but I couldn't find those sizes). I prepared the raspberry by following the Jell-O layers directions on the side flap of the box (3 cups boiling water, 1 8 oz tub of Cool whip (frozen)).
  5. Let the red layer cool to lukewarm before pouring atop the blue.
  6. Top with a layer of Cool-Whip and some fresh raspberries.
  7. JUST BEFORE SERVING (and not any sooner), sprinkle 2-4 packets of red and/or blue Pop Rocks (candy) on top. They will immediately react with the moisture in the topping--so don't add until it is ready to serve. Don't worry--there will still be enough pop to rock your mouth.
  8. Enjoy!

This was a huge hit with the kids--and I loved it too (=

If I were to do this again, I would prepare the blue layer with club soda to make it bubbly.

The credit for the idea behind this Jell-O creation goes to Alex--it was his idea to combine Jell-O and Pop Rocks. Incidentally, these two amazing creations came from the mind of the same man!

The idea for how to implement Alex's idea came from another awesome recipe I googled during my research.

No comments: