Friday, July 11, 2008

Baba Ghanoug and Balloons

Yum. Last night we ate at Nicholas Restaurant (Lebanese and Middle Eastern Cuisine) in Portland. It was a tiny, bustling restaurant that offers the quintessential Portlander plenty of vegan options with a friendly cafeteria atmosphere. I'm not really sure what the difference is between Lebanese food and Greek food. I have only eaten the latter in a restaurant once, but my plate had most of the same names.

By favorite is Baba Ghanoug ("fresh oven roasted eggplant, peeled and ground with tahini, garlic, lemon juice and garnished with parsley and olive oil"). I have tried eggplant once before and thought it was terrible. But baba ghanoug was one of the yummiest things I've ever had.

I also had a "Mezza Platter" with spinach pie, manakish, humus, falafel, tabouli, and fresh (REALLLY fresh yummy) pita bread. For dessert: Riz bil Halleeb--Lebanese style rice pudding topped with a sugared pistachios layer and a little whipped cream...YUM!

I don't remember the last time I was so very full.

We also went to the Portland Rose Garden last night. It was a gorgeous summer night. The roses were in bloom (and my allergies are finally under control, so I could enjoy it!), the accordion player and Shakespearean dances were fun, and there was a balloon lady passing out balloons to the kids playing in the amphitheater. Then it was on to the Doug Fir Lounge to see Retribution Gospel Choir. RGC had a new bass player. He danced like a chicken while he played. Other than that, it was a great show.

1 comment:

MKShelley said...

Once upon a time David and I planned a vacation to Portland that we couldn't afford. In those plans was the Doug Fir Lounge was one of the highlights, as was the Jupiter until we read reviews about how nasty it was. I'm sad about missing out on the lounge though. It looked like a cool place.